Logout or return to tenant home page

How can I make a Universal Credit / Housing Benefit claim?

How to claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit

Need help with your rent?

You might be able to claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit to help with your housing costs if you:

  • are on a low income - whether you are working or on other benefits;
  • pay rent; and
  • have less than £16,000 in savings, capital and/or shares.

If you are of working age and need to make a claim for benefit to help with your rent, it is likely that you will now need to claim Universal Credit.

You can find out more information about Universal Credit in the online tenant area of our website or at www.gov.uk   You can also contact Universal Credit on 0800 328 5644 or apply online. Remember, even if you claim Universal Credit, you should still contact the local authority in your area to check if you are eligible for any support with your Council Tax.

If you are eligible to claim Universal Credit, you cannot claim Housing Benefit.  If you are of working age but not eligible to claim Universal Credit, or you are over Pension Credit age, and want to apply for Housing Benefit, follow this link to Wakefield Council Benefits page for more information or contact the local authority in your area.

Your Universal Credit or Housing Benefit award may not cover your full rent, and it is it is your responsibility to make sure that your rent is paid to WDH in full.

How to claim Housing Benefit in Wakefield

You can register a claim for Housing Benefit with Wakefield Council. You can apply:


The quickest and easiest way to claim – the secure form only asks questions relevant to you, and provides a personalised list of evidence you will need to provide to support your claim.

Visit: Wakefield Council Benefits page

The online form can also be used on tablet, PCs and smartphones

If you don’t have access to the internet, free internet access is available at:

  • ­     Wakefield One customer access point and library;
  • ­     Wakefield Council libraries across the district; and
  • ­     All our service access points

In person

Call into Wakefield One, Burton Street, Wakefield WF1 2DD and speak to an advisor.  If you need help to fill in the form they can help you.  
Phone Wakefield Council 0345 8 504 504.  If you need them to, they will arrange for an advisor to call you back at a time convenient to you.

We provide a Housing Benefit and Council Tax document verification service at our service access points, this is for our tenants only.

If you are not a WDH tenant you can visit:

  • Wakefield One Customer Access Point Burton Street Wakefield WF1 2EB.
    (Please phone 0345 8 504 504 to check times for document verification and advice.)



welfare ; benefits ; claim ; forms ; help ; advice ; money ; debt ; financial ; advice ; housing ; benefit ; claim ; council ; advice ; form ; tax ; income ; Universal Credit