Logout or return to tenant home page

What is Housing Support Subsidy

Receiving Housing Support Subsidy and what services are available.

Housing Support is a Government subsidy WDH receives from Wakefield Council to help us provide housing related support services, for older and vulnerable people to help them live as independently as possible.

Housing Support is managed by Wakefield Council and together, we can make sure you get the best possible service to meet your needs.

What kind of services are available?

Housing Support can help you pay for:

  • your independent living accommodation support costs;
  • extra help while you live in extra care housing, and;
  • Home Visiting service.

Housing Support subsidy does not pay for services such as home care workers, personal care, Meals on Wheels or health care.

How can I arrange to receive Housing Support subsidy?

You may be entitled to receive Housing Support subsidy if you receive Housing or Council Tax Benefit from the Council and we have assessed you as needing support. If we assess you as needing support, you do not need to apply for Housing Support subsidy as we will do this on your behalf.

Useful contacts

For more information or to find out if you are eligible for Housing Support subsidy, please contact our Independent Living Team 01977 724449.

Wakefield Council Commissioning Team can provide more information on housing related support in Wakefield, contact them on 0345 8 506 506.

What standards can you expect?

If you use our housing related support services you can expect us to:

  • assess you to find out which services you need and give you a support plan we have agreed with you (your support plan will set out these
    services and when you will receive them);
  • provide you with a service that makes sure you are safe and secure in your accommodation;
  • consult you and tell you about the services you receive and any changes to these services; and,
  • provide you with a service that promotes equal opportunities and valuing people’s differences.

Independent Living Team

Our Independent Living Team manages accommodation (formerly known as Sheltered Housing) across the district, offering independent living with support in a safe and secure environment.

Independent living schemes are made up of groups of unfurnished homes specially designed for older or vulnerable people. There are extra care schemes which offer additional services, such as, a three course midday meal seven days a week and domestic assistant support to help with things like cleaning.

If you or any of your family have a support need and are interested in living in one of these schemes, contact our Independent Living Team on 01977 724449.

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income or are finding it hard to pay your rent, you might be able to get help to pay all or part of it by claiming Housing Benefit. For more information, contact 0345 8 504 504.