Logout or return to tenant home page

How can I make a Housing Benefit / Universal Credit claim?

How to claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

Need help with your rent?

You might be able to claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • are on a low income - whether you are working or on other benefits;
  • pay rent;
  • have less than £16,000 in savings/capital/shares, and,
  • are not claiming Universal Credit.

Before you make a claim for Housing Benefit, you must first check with the DWP to see if you are eligible to claim Universal Credit instead.  This is a new benefit that will eventually replace Housing Benefit for working age people but at the moment, it is only available to certain groups of people. You can contact Universal Credit on
0800 328 9344.  

If you are eligible to claim Universal Credit, you cannot claim Housing Benefit.  If you are not eligible to claim Universal Credit and want to apply for Housing Benefit, follow this link to Wakefield Council Benefits page for more information. 

How to claim

You can register a claim for Housing Benefit Wakefield Council. You can apply:


The quickest and easiest way to claim – the secure form only asks questions relevant to you, and provides a personalised list of evidence you will need to provide to support your claim.

Visit: Wakefield Council Benefits page

The online form can also be used on tablet, PCs and smartphones

If you don’t have access to the internet, free internet access is available at:

  • ­      Wakefield One customer access point and library;
  • ­      Wakefield Council libraries across the district; and
  • ­     All our service access points

In person

Call into Wakefield One, Burton Street, Wakefield WF1 2DD and speak to an advisor.  If you need help to fill in the form they can help you.  
Phone Wakefield Council 0345 8 504 504.  If you need them to, they will arrange for an advisor to call you back at a time convenient to you.

We provide a Housing Benefit and Council Tax document verification service at our service access points, this is for our tenants only.

If you are not a WDH tenant you can visit:

  • Wakefield One Customer Access Point Burton Street Wakefield WF1 2EB.
    (Please phone 0345 8 504 504 to check times for document verification and advice.)



housing ; benefit ; claim ; council ; advice ; form ; tax ; income ; Universal Credit