It is so easy to get caught up in the festive spirit that many people can forget to take simple steps to stay safe.
Here are our 12 handy hints to help make sure you and your family enjoy the holiday period.
1. Make sure your Christmas tree lights meet British safety standards.
2. Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights before you go to bed.
3. Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings.
4. Make sure any family and friends staying for the festive period know how to get out of your home in an emergency.
5. Keep candles, lighters and matches out of the reach of children. Never leave burning candles unattended.
6. Decorations can burn easily. Don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
7. Never overload electrical sockets.
8. Drinking responsibly can help reduce the risk of accidents.
9. Make sure all candles and cigarettes are completely extinguished before going to bed.
10.Check the battery in your smoke alarm, clean it and remove any dust.
11.Take the time to check on elderly neighbours.
12.If you’re celebrating with fireworks, store them in a metal box and always read the instructions. Never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.