Logout or return to tenant home page

How do I make a complaint?

How to make a complaint and the three stages it can include.

Making a complaint

We want you to be happy with the services you receive. However, sometimes you may feel you want to complain about our service or something you feel we have done or failed to do.

You can make a complaint:

If you cannot do this yourself, you can give a friend or relative permission to complain for you. We aim to give you a written reply to your complaint within ten working days. If we cannot get back to you within that time we will write and explain why and tell you how long it will take. As part of our service we will:

  • hear your comments on your contact with us;
  • help you with any issues as soon as they arise; and
  • try to solve any problems as quickly as possible.

We will aim to resolve all complaints informally first, but if you remain dissatisfied you can make a formal complaint. Our formal complaints process is below:

Stage 1

Complain using any of the methods shown above to our OneCALL Manager.

Stage 2

Complain to the Director of the relevant service.

You can do this by sending your complaint to:

Customer Relations
Merefield House 
Whistler Drive 
WF10 5HX 
Phone: 01977 724662 
Email: customerrelations@wdh.co.uk

The Director of the relevant service will consider your complaint and aim to reply to you within 15 working days. If it will take longer to deal with your complaint we will contact you to explain why.

Stage 3

Complaints Appeal Panel

If you are still not satisfied you can ask for your complaint to be dealt with by the Complaints Appeal Panel. Our Chief Executive will review your request and decide whether the complaint can be resolved, or whether to refer your complaint to a Panel. The Panel will meet within 30 working days to consider your appeal, and you will be told the Panel’s decision within a further seven working days.

What we won’t deal with

We won’t deal with the following:

  • Anything you knew about more than four months before you complained.
  • Anything which should be dealt with in a different way (for example, through legal action or a tribunal).
  • Complaints relating to government or commercial contracts.

In some circumstances, we may decide to deal with certain complaints in a different way. If this happens, we will explain why and give full details of how we will deal with your complaint.

What happens next?

If you disagree with our decision you can ask the Housing Ombudsman, an independent body, to look at it for you.

You can contact the Housing Ombudsman yourself as long as eight weeks have passed since we gave a final decision on your complaint.

If you prefer, you can ask an MP, Councillor or a recognised tenants’ panel to refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman for you.

You can get extra help from the following:

  • Housing Needs Service
    Wakefield Council
    Queens House
    Queens Row Market Street
    Phone: 01924 302085
  • Housing Ombudsman Service
    Exchange Tower
    Harbour Exchange Square
    London E14 9GE


Complaints ; How to Complain