Northern Powergrid issues advice ahead of Storm Barbara
23 December 2016
Ahead of Storm Barbara, which is forecast to bring strong winds as we approach Christmas, Northern Powergrid has issued information to customers about what to do in a power cut.
Northern Powergrid has launched a new, free national helpline. By dialling 105 customers can get information on power cuts in the area. Northern Powergrid is urging people to save the number 105 in their mobile phones in case of an emergency.
Other advice includes:
- Bookmark Northern Powergrid’s online power cut reporting service on your mobile devices – www.northernpowergrid.com/power-cuts ;
- have a charged mobile phone with important numbers, including 105 the new, free national power cut phone line, easily accessible;
- turn off electrical appliances at the socket (this is particularly important for heating or cooking appliances as your power could be restored at any time and potentially cause a safety hazard);
- keep one light switched on so you know when power is restored;
- keep a battery or wind-up torch handy – they’re much safer than candles;
- check on your elderly or sick neighbours and relatives;
- ensure you have some food and drink in your home that does not require electricity to heat or prepare it; and
- only call 999 in the event of an emergency
If your home is damaged by the extreme weather, we are here to help. However, please do bear with us as we are likely to experience a high volume of calls.
Contact OneCALL on 0345 8 507 507.
If your call isn’t an emergency, please visit www.wdh.co.uk/tenant where you can request a repair or make a payment online.